November 11, 2014

In Blog News

Young woman killed, two others hurt in West Bank stabbing attack

Dalia Lamkus, 26, named as victim in Gush Etzion attack, suspect shot by guard near Alon Shvut settlement; stabbing comes hours after Tel Aviv attack.

By Chaim Levinson | Nov. 10, 2014 | 8:01 PM |  2
Site of West Bank stabbing attack

 The scene of the West Bank stabbing attack, November 10, 2014. Photo by No Credit

A 25-year-old woman was killed and two people were wounded Monday in a stabbing attack near the West Bank settlement of Alon Shvut on Monday.

A 26-year-old man suffered light-to-moderate wounds to the abdomen. A 50-year-old man was stabbed in the face, and listed in light-to-moderate condition as well.

A guard at the entrance to the settlement shot and wounded the suspect on the spot, a junction just west of the settlement entrance.

The fatality was named as Dalia Lamkus, a resident of the West Bank settlement of Tekoa. Lamkus was the eldest of five children. Her parents are immigrants from South Africa. She worked as an occupational therapist in Kiryat Gat, and often traveled by hitchhiking.

The Shin Bet named the suspect as Maher Hamdi A-Shalmon, 30, a resident of Hebron affiliated with the Islamic Jihad. Hashalmon was jailed in an Israeli prison from 2000-2005 after throwing a firebomb at Israeli troops.

This was the second terror attack carried out within hours, and the fifth within just weeks. The stabbing was carried out near the Gush Etzion junction, where three Israeli teenage boys were kidnapped and murdered in June.

At around 12:30 P.M. on Monday, an Israel Defense Forces soldier was stabbed near the Haganah train station in south Tel Aviv. He was initially listed as in critical condition, and succumbed to his wounds Monday night.

Emergency services treated the soldier at the site before evacuating him to Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, in critical condition. According to Magen David Adom spokesman Zaki Heller, the soldier, aged about 20, was found with a number of stab wounds.

The assailant, who police said was a Palestinian who had entered Israel illegally, was apprehended and held for questioning. Palestinian sources told the local Palestinian media that his name is Nur a-Din Hashiya, from the Askar refugee camp in Nablus.

Also on Monday, a 20-year-old was lightly wounded by stones thrown at a bus near the southern town of Hura.

Two people were killed on October 23, when a Palestinian drove his car into a light rail train station near Ammunition Hill in Jerusalem, running over passersby. That was followed by the assassination attempt on Temple Mount activist Yehuda Glick on October 30, which left Glick seriously wounded.

On November 5, two people were killed and several seriously wounded, when a Palestinian drove his van into pedestrians near the Old City in Jerusalem.